TaxBanter Tax Workshop Brisbane
Our public tax workshops are designed for smaller practices and sole practitioners, covering a monthly Tax Update and Special Topic.
Our workshops will keep you up-to-date with the latest tax changes, while you earn valuable CPE/CPD hours.
The sessions will consist of a tax update and special topic.
Attendees will be updated on recent tax issues and learn about the practical impact of recent tax changes. You’ll also learn how to apply the changes in a client context and discover how to recognise planning opportunities as a result.
The sessions will also provide a practical and detailed analysis of a topical area of tax law or practice.
|Thursday, 17 August 2023||8:00am-10:00am|
|Thursday, 21 September 2023||8:00am-10:00am|
|Thursday, 19 October 2023||8:00am-10:00am|
|Thursday, 16 November 2023||8:00am-10:00am|
|Thursday, 21 December 2023||8:00am-10:00am|
Join us each month as we review the current tax landscape. What's changing, and what has been proposed?
You'll learn how to apply these changes in a client context and discover how to recognise planning opportunities as a result.
Tax Updates cover important tax issues such as:
- Income tax, including CGT
- Other taxes such as GST and FBT
- Tax administration
- State taxes
Tax issues for Professional practices
- Why professional practices are treated differently to other businesses
- The relevance of the personal services income rules
- Profit splitting and profit allocation arrangements acceptable to the ATO
- The employee contractor distinction
- Payroll tax implications for structuring professional practices
Cryptocurrency … in the tax net
- What are cryptocurrency and digital assets
- Applying the ordinary income tax and CGT tax rules to digital asset
- Working out whether your client is an investor, trader or just using the assets for personal use
- Your client’s record keeping obligations in relation to digital assets
- Advising your client about what data is available to the ATO about cryptocurrency to match lodged returns
Stacey goes to London
Your client is heading overseas – this case study-based topic examines the Australian tax implications of:
- A resident taxpayer deriving foreign income which is subject to foreign income tax
- Becoming a non-resident – changes to tax rates and CGT I1
- Selling a CGT asset – calculation of the CGT discount
- Becoming a resident again
- Selling a main residence with both non-resident and non-main residence days
Div 7A – A refresher
- A refresher on the core rules of Div 7A
The tax professional and ethical obligations
With verifiable ethics training a requirement of some professional associations, this topic examines what it means to be a professional and the source of the ethical standards, specifically looking at:
- When an accountant risks compromising the duty of acting honestly and with integrity
- Why a tax agent’s failing to attend to their own taxation affairs is viewed as a breach of professional conduct
- How a tax agent who has always acted for a couple can manage a conflict of interest when dealing with the taxation affairs of one of them after the couple divorces
- Why an accountant cannot act as an auditor of their own SMSF
Senior Tax Trainer, TaxBanter
Tristan has over 20 years experience in the private sector in tax and worked at the ATO for almost a decade . Prior to joining TaxBanter, Tristan was a tax trainer with Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand and National Tax Director at Crowe Australasia (Findex). Tristan aims to make his training sessions as practical as possible which reflects his most recent work experience training with CA ANZ and working for mid-tier firms such as Crowe and HLB Mann Judd.
Tristan has also previously worked for PwC and legal publisher CCH Australia where he contributed to well-known tax publications such as the Australian Federal Tax Reporter and the Australian Master Tax Guide. The depth of Tristan’s experience ensures that he is able to provide “cut through” for mid-tier professionals, ensuring they get the practical information they need to be a proficient tax practitioner in a changing environment.
TaxBanter Tax Workshop Brisbane
21 Dec 2023
08:00 am - 10:00 am
Brisbane City Cliftons Brisbane